TOM’s Pizza Secrets
I was born in Hungary – and came to America as a 10 year old refugee. I discovered Pizza at a YMCA summer camp when I was 14. WOW. Over the years I added my special Hungarian touch to this American favorite:
- Start with a frozen thin crust margarita or supreme pizza
- Add extra fresh chopped onions on top
- Microwave thinly sliced spicy Hungarian sausage on paper towels to reduce the fat (I get the sausage on line from Bende Salami Company – mail order Hungarian food store in Chicago) Distribute the sausage slices on top of the pizza.
- Spoon on a thin layer of Lecso – a rich, wonderfully flavored tomato sauce with cooked red pepper strips. (Order your jars of Lecho from Bende – you’ll also love Lecso over eggs or even over white rice)
- Sprinkle on blend of cheddar and monterey jack shredded cheese, to hold it all together. (I get this at Costco.)
- Season the top with garlic powder, parsley and cracked pepper. And I also like to add jalapeño pepper slices and or banana pepper slices – usually on one half of the pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees till the crust browns well
- Cut it into squares with my BIG ASS PIZZA CUTTER